Dr. Charles B. Simone, II, FASTRO, FACRO is a Research Professor and the Chief Medical Officer of the New York Proton Center. He is an internationally recognized expert in the use of proton therapy to treat thoracic malignancies and for reirradiation, and in developing innovative research and clinical trials in thoracic oncology and in stereotactic body radiation therapy using both proton and conventional photon therapies. Dr. Simone is a Full Member in the Department of Radiation Oncology at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
Prior to coming to New York Proton Center, Dr. Simone was Chief of the Thoracic Oncology Service at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and then the Medical Director of the Maryland Proton Treatment Center.
Dr. Simone is recognized by The Leading Physicians of the World America’s Best Doctors, Expertscape World Expert in Lung Neoplasms, Crain’s New York’s Notable in Healthcare, New York Super Doctors, and numerous others. He is also a three-time winner of the Association of Residents in Radiation Oncology Educator of the Year Award
→ Thymic carcinoma
→ Malignant pleural mesothelioma
→ Cardiac tumors
→ Oligometastatic/oligoprogressive disease
University of Pennsylvania
University of Pennsylvania
National Cancer Institute, NIH (Chief Resident)
Dr. Simone is a National Institutes of Health, National Science Foundation, and Department of Defense funded investigator who performs clinical and translational research investigating the benefits of proton therapy and traditional radiation therapy as part of multi-modality therapy for thoracic malignancies.
He has published >500 peer-reviewed scientific articles and book chapters and has given >400 scientific lectures to national and international audiences. In addition, he is also the national Principal Investigator or Co-Chair of 8 NIH-funded cooperative group trials, including:
– NRG Oncology RTOG 1308: Phase III Randomized Trial Comparing Overall Survival After Photon Versus Proton Chemoradiotherapy for Inoperable Stage II-IIIB NSCLC.
– ECOG-ACRIN EA5142: Adjuvant Nivolumab in Resected Lung Cancers (ANVIL) – A Randomized Phase III Study of Nivolumab After Surgical Resection and Adjuvant Chemotherapy in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancers
– NRG Oncology LU002: Maintenance Systemic Therapy Versus Local Consolidative Therapy (LCT) Plus Maintenance Systemic Therapy For Limited Metastatic Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC): A Randomized Phase II/III Trial
– Proton Collaborative Group PCG LUN005: A Phase I/II Study of Hypofractionated Proton Therapy for Stage II-III Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
– NRG Oncology LU004: Phase I Trial of Accelerated or Conventionally Fractionated Radiotherapy Combined With MEDI4736 (durvalumab) in PD-L1 High Locally Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC) (ARCHON-1)
– SWOG S1914: Randomized Phase III Trial Of Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy With or Without Atezolizumab For (T1c-T3N0M0) Early Stage Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
– NRG Oncology LU006: Phase III Randomized Trial of Pleurectomy/Decortication Plus Chemotherapy with or without Adjuvant Hemithoracic Intensity-Modulated Pleural Radiation Therapy (IMPRINT) for Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma (MPM)
– NRG Oncology LU008: Phase III Prospective Randomized Trial of Primary Lung Tumor Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy Followed by Concurrent Mediastinal Chemoradiation for Locally-Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
Dr. Simone is the Editor-in-Chief of Annals of Palliative Medicine and on the Editorial Boards of Cancers, Translational Lung Cancer Research, Frontiers in Oncology, Journal of Thoracic Disease, Annals of Translational Medicine, and Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology, among others. He also sits on numerous national and international grant study sections.
Dr. Simone is the President of the Board of the Proton Collaborative Group (PCG). He also chairs the following committees:
– NRG Oncology Particle Therapy Work Group
– PCG Lung Committee
– American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) Lung Resource Panel Committee
– ASTRO Blue Ribbon Lung Panel
– ASTRO Small Cell Lung Cancer Guidelines Committee
– American Radium Society (ARS) Appropriate Use Criteria Thoracic Committee
– PTCOG Skull Base/Central Nervous System, Sarcoma Subcommittee
– Particle Therapy Co-Operative Group (PTCOG) Gastrointestinal Subcommittee
– American College of Radiation Oncology (ACRO) Annual Meeting Abstracts Committee
– National Cancer Institute/Radiosurgery Society (RSS) GRID-Lattice-Microbeam-Flash Radiotherapy Clinical Working Group
– Varian FlashForward Consortium Clinical Committee
– Varian Connect Proton User Group