As we close the books on another year of transformational growth at the New York Proton Center, we’re taking a moment to reflect on some of the biggest highlights of 2021.
Without question, this was another difficult year for many of us in the face of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Despite great challenges, we have a lot to celebrate thanks to the incredible dedication and hard work of our outstanding team.
As a snapshot of achievements over the past 12 months, we’re proud to say we:
- Grew significantly faster and treated more complex cancers than any other proton center worldwide. In March, we celebrated the treatment of our 1,000th patient – a milestone we reached in less than 18 months since opening. The cancers that we treat are among the most challenging in the world, and the treatments that we provide can dramatically reduce side effects, better preserve quality of life, and in some cases can be a patient’s only chance of cure.
- Conducted groundbreaking clinical research advancing the science of radiation oncology. Our world-class team of radiation oncologists launched 11 new clinical trials in 2021, bringing the total to 22 trials encompassing seven types of cancers. This research helps find new opportunities for cancer patients around the world.
- Enrolled 98 percent of our patients in clinical trials that are furthering the understanding of proton therapy and advancing the field of cancer care.
- Became a global hub for proton therapy education. We hosted virtual and in-person training for radiation oncologists, physicists and dosimetrists from numerous new centers in the U.S. and around the world to help train their clinical teams. NYPC is committed to the growth and advancement of the proton industry, and we are proud to help new centers provide world-class care.
- Led the way advancing innovative radiotherapy models. NYPC emerged as a leader in research advancing the clinical viability of FLASH radiotherapy, a potential game-changer for radiation therapy that may significantly reduce toxicities while also reducing treatment time from several weeks to a matter of seconds.
With all of these accomplishments, the most important thing we do every day is provide exceptional and empathetic care to our patients. While we are focused on the continued growth and development of the proton industry, our attention and heart are always first with our patients.
We are grateful to our entire team—physicians, nurses, radiation therapists, physicists and many more—for their tireless efforts to provide the best patient experience in the world. Most of all, we are grateful to our patients for filling us with pride and inspiration every single day.
We are excited to welcome 2022 and another year of advancement, innovation and excellence for our patients.